Tuesday, September 28, 2010

ABC Wednesday: K is for Kasper's hot dogs

Kasper's was an Oakland institution until it closed in 2003.  It opened in 1929 and was owned by three generations of sons until its closing.  This building and iconic neon sign continue to occupy a triangle corner at Temescal's Telegraph and Shattuck Avenues.  While photographing this sign, I met a neighborhood denizen who fondly remembered getting dogs here and still laments its closing.  For more "K" photos, be sure to visit ABC Wednesday.
This is an automatic post.  I'm traveling and will likely have restricted access to computers to comment on your blogs.  Back in town on October 1.

13 comments:

  1. We're too late for a dog!



    Warm Aloha from Honolulu

    Comfort Spiral

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great old sign. Too bad it was tagged.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, shame about the tag, but a worthy urban record.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that sign!
    And I like hot dogs to..... sorry to say.

    Annelie E
    ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember them. The snap and crunch of biting into the dog was wonderful.
    It was one of my Mother in laws favorite places to go for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the sign and am sure I would have loved the dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such family-owned places are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The graffiti is sad, because it's an interesting piece of history.

    welcome back

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  9. We used to live in Northern CA, but I never heard of a Caspers Hot Dogs... and I do like hot dogs. We live in Southern CA now, and I like Dodger Dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sorry that this restaurant had to close in 2003, thinks since 1929 if the walls could talk who knows how many things we would tell

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really dig this blog. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I lived nearby, and we ate at Kaspers and loved their dogs! Sad to see the tag, but wonderful that that sign is still up. It's a classic!
    -Kim

    ReplyDelete